The following guidelines are recommended for The ALR program of The American Legion:
- All members of The American Legion Riders shall be current members of The American Legion, American Legion Auxiliary or Sons of The American Legion
- Each ALR member shall establish and maintain membership by owning, individually or through marriage, a motorcycle licensed and insured as required by state law
- ALR programs may allow for continued membership for those members who have given up motorcycle ownership because of age, illness, injury, or other reasons outside the member's control
- All ALR members shall strive to maintain the image of The American Legion, at all times upholding The American Legion name and emblem, which symbolizes the integrity and principles of this great organization
- All The ALR groups shall avoid the perception of being a "motorcycle club" or biker club"
- The only recognized The American Legion Rider logo is that which is copyrighted and sold through The American Legion National Emblem sales
- All Members will obey the motorcycle laws of their state
- No use of rockers with the ALR patch because touching the patch violates trademark laws of the ALR patch
- Sponsoring organization (Post and Department) will review liability insurance coverage to ensure that adequate coverage is available to cover the organization to include coverage for any specific special riding events.